Today's the birthday of a friend, happy 21. Being 21 but not yet reaching 21, I'm still enjoying the benefits that of a child. For example, the Thai trip that is going to take place in 3 weeks (excited!) require us to buy travel insurance, which is more than 50% cheaper if you are a child, below 21 years of age, as of 1st May 09. As an young adult, I feel myself having to grapple with the notions and the constant questions of what am I going to do after graduation, doing honours or no honours and that sort of questions. To which, I often have no answers. Even doing honours itself is a huge question mark, as my borderline grades do allow myself to qualify for the application if I'm consistent and willing, but does not provide a safety net for a lesser grade. Honours, is something that I dont see myself doing, but seems required and a good way to get away from the horrible economic situation.
You see, I'm confused as to what is expected of me. To start with, I have a weird mother who did not want me to go to university and prefer me to settle for less in a polytechnic. I told you she's weird. But she had been very supportive and allowed me to pursue what I wanted academically even though she had to work very hard for me and for it. In uni, I'm pursuing my passion in a major that people often see no future in, and I'm too unsure as to where my passion can take me. Especially so if I want to graduate with a bachelor's degree. I have visions of what I see myself doing, which I know is not very possible. But I'm daring myself to dream and to attain the impossible.
But back-up plans are a must. Relatives and whoever always tell me that I could be a teacher. No not me. There are too many reasons why I did not want to pursue this childhood ambition of mine, voicebox failing being one of them, but yeps. And as much as I say that 'back-up plans are a must', I refuse to deal with it, and thus no research whatsoever on the jobs that I can go into.
I must say that I'm pretty much a happy-go-lucky person. I take things as they come. I focus on the short term stuff rather than the long term ones. I never went to look for things that are needed to 'zhng' my resume, but only do what is required of me. In a sense, I sometimes feel that I can't be bothered with the practicalities of life.
reading what I've written above, I realised that I do not have a solution to the above problem and I do not want to look for a solution. Looking for the solution is too adult, and I do not want to be associated as such. You know, trying to grapple the notions of adulthood and its responsibilities, is scary.
On a sidenote, one exam down and three more to go. This sem is a killer.